Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Beautiful Life



Well, today was my Papa's funeral. We lost him last Thursday evening. All of this happened so fast and it has been such a trying time for our family. None of us were prepared for this at all. (Not that you ever really are!) My cousin Ivy got up and spoke at the funeral and she did such a wonderful job. There are so many great things to say about our grandfather and she thought of many great memories. The past few days I have been drifting back to my childhood quite often and remembering some of the good times.

Sitting on Papa's lap in his recliner late at night while he rubs my back and we watch Perry Mason, even though I am supposed to be in bed already.

Riding in his old pickup truck with oldies on the radio and a bag of donut holes in my lap. He always bragged to his buddies at the donut shop how great all his grandkids were and we sure did love going along!

Sharing "hot" tamales at Trader's Village. The spicier the better, that's how Papa liked em.

Eating strawberries out of the patch at the old house.

Ivy and me sneaking out of bed during the night to "sample" the extracts and getting scared to pieces when Papa snored. It was so loud!

Playing with the hand held poker machine that was always next to his and grandma's chair.

Helping with the fried turkey every year at Thanksgiving. I swear he invented it!

And finally, seeing the love in his eyes when he held Astraea the day she was born. Him and Grandma were the first to get there to see her and that meant so much! I feel so lucky that he had a chance to meet her. I can't wait to tell her all about him.

Papa, I could never ask for a better grandfather, confidant, hand holder and supporter, provider, and just all around wonderful man. Thanks for being a part of my life! I love you!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have so many good memories of him. He will always be alive in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it - I forgot about the poker games...remember playing those marble games too?

    ReplyDelete