Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sick baby

We had big plans for this week, but sadly, none of it happened. Wednesday was my birthday and we were set to go visit Nana and go out for dinner. Thursday we were heading over to see Grandma Jo, and then to a park playdate with some Mesquite Mommys. However, little precious has been sick so we didn't get to do any of it...She had a little fever last week and I attributed it to teething because it seemed to break easily and go away. Plus, it wasn't too high. Well, starting Tuesday night it was back. This time it seemed to stay up between 101 and 102. I tried Tylenol, but it would only bring it down a little and would eventually be back up. So, we went to the pedi today to see if we could get some answers. We got there at noon and they weighed her and took her temp. It was back up to 102.3. After checking her out pretty thoroughly (ears, nose, throat)the doc said that she didn't see anything out of the ordinary. She was worried about her having a temp for too many days. She feels that if it is teething it wouldn't be so high. Only slightly elevated, like 99 or maybe 100. So, she wants to do some bloodwork and get a urine sample to rule out a UTI. Let me just say, this is where the nightmare began. They started by trying to insert a cathedar, because with a baby it is pretty impossible to "catch" the urine when they pee. It just didn't work, she was so upset and started fighting them and they couldn't get it in for anything. She is tiny to begin with and they were afraid of hurting her. She was already screaming at this point and they still had to get blood. Of course, they couldn't find a vein. She ended up getting poked and prodded til she was beside herself, and so was I. I swear, it is really awful to see your baby in pain! They ended up having to send us to the hospital to get the blood drawn. There they got it on the second try, but not without another meltdown from my poor tired baby. She still hadn't gotten a nap at this point and it was nearly six! So, we are finally home and both extremely worn out. I just hope she gets some good sleep tonight and feels better cause it sure was the day from hell. We should get some news tomorrow on the bloodwork and UA. I am just praying that it's only a virus and will pass on its own. BUT, I will be so sad that she went through all that for nothing. I so wish I could have done it for her!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Starla, did you ever find out what was wrong? I hope she is all better now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete